The best antivirus for Mac: protects your Mac from all known Mac viruses and malware
Only VirusBarrier X6 provides comprehensive protection from malware and network threats. VirusBarrier X6 is the only antivirus program for Mac that includes full anti-malware protection together with firewall, network protection, anti-phishing, anti-spyware features and more.
As malware changes, protection needs to be reinforced
While viruses, Trojan horses, worms and other forms of malware are a constant threat to computers of all kinds, cyber-criminals are turning to new techniques to infect and control your Mac. These new threats come silently, with little warning, over the Internet: in many cases, simply visiting a booby-trapped web page can compromise your Mac. Focusing on malware or network attacks alone is no longer sufficient to protect Macs from the dangers of the Internet.
Comprehensive protection with VirusBarrier X6
VirusBarrier X6, the latest version of Intego's network and malware security program, includes more than 100 new features. With multiple threat-detection techniques, improved methods of detection, combined detection protocols, proactive behavioral analysis, and a full range of defensive functions, VirusBarrier X6 protects Macs from all known network-based threats, as well as all known malware.
New features of VirusBarrier X6VirusBarrier X6 adds a number of new features that provide hardened security and help protect against the latest threats:
- Phishing protection: you and your Mac are protected from phishing web sites that try to trick you into entering personal information, such as a credit card number or a password, on a site that looks exactly like a valid web site.
- New types of malware detected: VirusBarrier X6 detects a wide range of new types of malware, such as scareware (software that tries to trick you into thinking you’re Mac is infected, in order to get you to pay for software), spyware (including commercial software used as keyloggers or monitoring tools), hacking tools, dialers (software that initiates phone calls to premium-rate phone numbers), proof-of-concept malware (software designed to show how to exploit a vulnerability, which is not circulating “in the wild”), and more.
- Dynamic Code Monitoring: Intego’s new technology that detects suspicious actions carried out by applications that may be malicious, and detects malware by examining its code as it acts in real-time.
- Fine-tuned scanning and security policies: choose from a number of detailed options to determine exactly what is scanned and when, and the type of threats that VirusBarrier X6 scans for. There are also basic settings for users who don’t need such detailed options.
- CPU and performance control: users can choose how much CPU time VirusBarrier X6 uses to scan different disks, and choose a maximum percentage of CPU time to be allocated to background scans, in order to reduce CPU usage.
- AppleScript integration: users can launch scans and obtain scan results using AppleScript.
- Uninstallation protection: VirusBarrier X6 contains protective measures against uninstallation or deactivation.
- Real-time monitoring indicators in the menu bar: to ensure that all features are functioning correctly, VirusBarrier X6 displays indicators in the menu bar.
Other features of VirusBarrier X6:
Personal Firewall features:
- Detects and eliminates all known Mac viruses and malware
- Scans files for Windows and Unix viruses
- Protects against spyware and Trojan horses
- Protects against adware, hacker tools, dialers, keyloggers and more
- Repairs infected files
- Real-time and on-demand virus scanning
- Quarantine Zone to isolate infected files
- Trusted Zone to disable Real-Time scanning on selected files or folders
- Heuristic and behavioral analysis
- Blocks virus execution
- Detailed logging for scan analysis
- Full logs can be saved and exported
- Scans can be scheduled at multiple times
- Scans can be run automatically when external volumes are mounted
- Scans can run automatically after virus definition updates
- Command-line control for remote scans
- Scans compressed files and archives
- Archive scanning can be activated by archive type
- Scanning for Windows viruses can be deactivated
- Scans for malware on the iPhone and the iPod touch
- Suspicious file analysis by the Intego Virus Monitoring Center
- Contextual menu for quick scans of files, folders or volumes
- Turbo Mode technology for faster scans
- Choice of alerts (voice, dialog or e-mail)
- File analysis from the Dock
- Runs in the background
Network Monitoring features:
- Controls incoming and outgoing TCP/IP traffic and data
- Protects against all kinds of intrusions
- Protects against network attacks
- Protects against ping floods, port scans, and more
- Offers preset or customizable firewall rules
- Simple and advanced firewall modes
- Multiple customized firewall modes can be defined
- Stop list and Trusted group store friendly and malicious IP addresses
- Offers a choice of defense policies, with advanced options for intrusion protection
- Individualized security policies for network attack prevention
- Alerts inform users of attacks, and offer several options to react to them
- Configurations can be set for specific network settings or locations
- Networks can be defined by MAC address
- Thorough list of TCP/UDP Ports
- Full logs allow users to audit all network activity
- Stores logs in the Apple system log facility
- Offers individual cookie control
- Blocks ad banners
- Safeguards personal information
- Hides browser and platform information
- Shows network traffic activity with 12 control monitors
- Includes standalone traffic monitor application and widget
- Displays all network services active and their ports
- Logs display real-time network activity with domain name resolution
- Shows network addresses and MAC addresses
- Detects available AirPort and WiFi networks
- Includes Whois and Traceroute tools
ContentBarrier 10.6 is a parental control program for Mac, providing functions for parents and businesses. It is designed to filter and block certain Internet content according to the settings you choose. ContentBarrier 10.6 blocks adult web sites, sites with subjects not fit for children, and blocks chats when predatory language is used. It also blocks certain protocols, or types of Internet communication, that you may not want your children to use, such as peer-to-peer and other file sharing protocols, online games, streaming audio and video, FTP, SSH and more.
ContentBarrier 10.6 works with multiple users, and interfaces seamlessly with the Mac OS X user accounts on your computer. If you have several children, you can set different limitations corresponding to their age or maturity. You can choose whether they have access to newsgroups, e-mail, or whether they can download files. You can set the program to let them only use the Internet at certain times, and on certain days. You can choose to block or allow specific web sites, allow users only to use selected applications, and block access to specific types of content, such as streaming media or peer-to-peer file transfers. The program can even send you e-mail, automatically, when certain events occur. And you can view logs and manage some of ContentBarrier 10.6’s settings over the Internet, using any web browser.
ContentBarrier 10.6 sets up a protective wall around your computer. Its pre-defined filters let you choose what you don’t want your children to see, and you can create your own custom filters as well. Inappropriate web sites are blocked, shielding your children from content they are too young for. Additional filters block content by program type, such as chats, newsgroups and more.
- Blocks and filters all offensive material from the Internet
- Customizable profiles - if you have several children, you can adjust the settings for their age and maturity
- Seamless interface with Mac OS X user accounts
- Setup assistant simplifies user configuration
- Adjustable levels of protection
- Overview screen shows all user settings
- Pre-determined filters for safe and easy content filtering
- Web site blocking—block or allow specific web sites
- Full recording of activity: sites visited, sites blocked, chats, e-mail, applications, screenshots and keystrokes
- Prevents external disks and volumes from mounting
- Remote web administration from any computer
- Quick enabling/disabling of protection for each user
- Add user photos for easy recognition and configuration
- Blocks streaming media, newsgroups and peer-to-peer software
- Blocks chats and e-mail
- Blocks selected applications
- Filters protocols such as FTP/SFTP, SSH, SSL and online games
- Start and stop time limits from the Intego menu
- Instant authorization for blocked sites
- Automatic search engine redirection
- Limits Internet access by day and time
- AntiPredator function to block predatory language in chat sessions
- Detailed logs of each user’s Internet usage
- Traffic data recorded for an overview of Internet use
- Only authorized users can change program settings
- Automatic updates with NetUpdate
- Automatic e-mail notification of certain events
- User manual in the Help menu
Personal Backup 10.6
Whether you use your Mac for work or at home, you devote a lot of time to creating and editing files, installing applications, and maintaining your Mac OS X system. If you use your computer at home, you may have banking records, e-mail archives, databases listing your possessions, school reports, or digital pictures of your family. At work, you certainly have documents and files that are essential for your job or business—reports, spreadsheets, databases and more. All these files are valuable, and many are irreplaceable.
If you don’t back up your files, you may have the unpleasant surprise of looking for some of them and discovering them missing or damaged. At that point there’s little you can do except feel guilty about not being more prudent—and make a resolution to back up your files more often.
That’s where Personal Backup 10.6 comes in. It protects you from such loss by making copies of your files so you can recover from losses caused by theft, error, disaster, or data corruption. And it continues to protect you through automated schedules that ensure you always have an up-to-date backup.
Intego Personal Backup 10.6 is a comprehensive backup solution for Mac OS X, protecting you from data loss by systematically making copies of your documents, applications, and system files.
Intego Personal Backup 10.6 can back up your files to most media, including:
- Partitions on your hard drive
- External hard drives (USB, FireWire or SCSI)
- Removable media (such as USB key drives)
- Optical media (such as recordable CDs or DVDs)
- Network volumes
- AirPort disks (hard disks connected to Apple's AirPort Extreme base station)
- An iDisk
- An iPod
- Disk images
Intego Personal Backup 10.6 can also synchronize data between two computers (such as a desktop Mac and a MacBook or MacBook Pro), or create a bootable backup of your entire Mac OS X volume. And, of course, it restores files to your computer as easily as it backs them up.
At its simplest, backing up files with Personal Backup 10.6 requires dragging and dropping a few folders and clicking the Backup button. For more-complex tasks, Personal Backup 10.6’s advanced mode lets you create backup scripts that perform multiple actions, and can run on predetermined schedules.
Personal Backup 10.6 Features
- Backs up files to FTP and SFTP servers
- New user interface
- Incremental backups store multiple versions
- Preview scripts before running them
- Run scripts, applications, AppleScripts and more before and after script execution
- Multiple schedules possible for any script
- Network volumes can be mounted when needed
- Personal Backup can wake up a Mac to run scripts
- Improved Dashboard widget to launch and monitor scripts
- Full or incremental backups
- Fast, reliable restorations
- Bootable backups can be made of startup volume
- Data synchronization of folders or volumes
- Backs up to all types of volumes, such as hard drives (HFS/HFS+/UFS), AppleShare servers, Windows shares (samba), NFS servers, iDisks, iPods...
- Automatic mount and dismount of network volumes
- Scripts can be linked to one another
- Easy editing and modification of scripts
- Scripts can be tested before they launch
- Backup statistics display with graphs
- Backups can be made to multiple disks
- Exception lists to choose what not to back up
- Data copied in its original format allows immediate recovery in case of accidental loss
- Scripts can run in the background
- User manual in the Help menu
Personal Antispam 10.6
Intego Personal Antispam 10.6 is the ultimate spam-fighting tool for Mac OS X. Personal Antispam 10.6 analyzes your incoming e-mail, determining which messages are spam and which are valid messages, and does so in many ways: by checking a whitelist and blacklist of addresses, message headers, content or layout, URLs in messages, and much more.
Spam is the scourge of the Internet. Almost every Internet user receives spam: undesired e-mail messages selling products and services, messages suggesting that users visit certain web sites, often pornographic, and scams of all kinds. Some people get so much spam that they spend more time sorting their inboxes than they do reading legitimate e-mail; it is not uncommon to receive hundreds of spam messages each day, for only a few dozen legitimate e-mail messages.
Spam is the electronic equivalent of the junk mail you receive in your mailbox. But while much of the junk mail you receive is local -flyers for the neighborhood supermarket, sales at your local sporting goods store- spam generally offers scams and swindles. Some of these include the "Nigerian Scam", or the 419 scam, named after the relevant section of the Criminal Code of Nigeria, where e-mails ask you to help someone obtain several million dollars from a bank account, after you have put up a few thousand yourself as an "advance fee". Other spam messages offer prescription drugs, without a prescription, at rock-bottom prices; software at prices that are too good to be true; messages claiming to be from friends, directing you to check out a specific web site; “phishing” messages, or attempts to get you to log on to a bank web site and enter your user name and password; or e-mail offering you free pornography or miracle solutions to increase the size of certain body parts.
While it is relatively simple to get rid of the junk mail you receive in your mailbox at home, spam is more difficult to detect. The subject headers of spam messages often lead you to think that the messages are from old friends or businesses you have worked with. If you have to sort through all this spam in your inbox every day, especially if you need to read e-mail for your job, you'll waste a lot of time and be less productive.
Personal Antispam 10.6 uses a set of plug-ins to provide the most powerful spam filter available. You choose which plug-ins you want to use, according to the type of spam you receive. Personal Antispam 10.6 uses lexical filtering (also known as Bayesian analysis), attachment filters, whitelist and blacklist filters, and also filters URLs, using a database of known spam URLs that are often included in messages. Personal Antispam 10.6 also looks for specific types of headers and layout used in HTML messages, which are most often used for spam, allowing the program to not only search for content, but also for the subtle ways that spammers craft their messages.
After you have had Personal Antispam 10.6 learn from your e-mail, you can export your settings and spam database, and give it to friends, family or colleagues, so these people can get optimal spam filtering immediately, without having to wait for Personal Antispam 10.6 to learn from their e-mail. They can then have the program learn from the more specific types of spam and legitimate e-mail they receive to refine the program’s efficiency.
Spam techniques are constantly changing, and Personal Antispam 10.6 offers monthly updates to fight new types of spam as they appear, and to update its database of spam URLs.
Personal Antispam 10.6 Features
- Filters e-mail and weeds out spam, placing it in a Spam folder
- Filters spam with Bayesian analysis
- Filters spam by address, message content, layout and more
- Filters spam with a whitelist of users' contacts
- Filters spam by developing a blacklist of spammers' addresses
- Filters spam by top-level domain; users can exclude specific domains, such as .ru, .cn, .biz and more
- Filters messages with incorrect encoding and identifiers
- Filters phishing e-mails
- Filters attachments for common file names
- Trusts contacts in user's Address Book
- Trusts ISP's spam headers
- Learns from the spam users receive
- Learns from legitimate e-mails
- Does not slow down e-mail programs
- Regular updates help fight spam as new types appear
Whether you use your Mac for work, play, or everyday activities at home, it contains a variety of files. You may have music, movies and photos; word-processing documents, spreadsheets and contact information; reports, letters and to-do lists. Most of these files need no special protection, but some of them are confidential: you may have files for your business, personal financial records, private e-mail, instant message transcripts and more. Mac OS X protects your files by requiring a password to access your user account, but hackers, vandals and data-thieves may be able to bypass this protection.
This is even more of a threat if you have a laptop, and use it on the road. If you lose your laptop, it may contain much more than just your vacation pictures and itinerary. Anyone who finds your laptop may be able to not only steal your files, but also your identity.
Identity theft is one of the leading computer security issues today, and the only way to prevent it is to ensure that all your personal and confidential documents are fully protected. FileGuard 10.6 creates virtual safes that provide unbreakable protection for all your sensitive files. You can create as many safes as you want, using them for different types of files: you can create a safe for your e-mail, another for your business documents, another for your financial records, and one for schedules, contacts and calendars. Each safe can have its own password, and when you close a safe, there's no way that anyone can get at its contents. You can set the upper limit of a safe's capacity: it will automatically increase in size to that limit as you add files to it.
FileGuard 10.6's safes are not only secure; they are also portable. You can store safes on file servers or external disks and you can keep them on your home or office Mac with no risk of anyone opening them. You can even send FileGuard 10.6 safes to friends, family or colleagues, and they can access files contained in those safes, as long as they have the password, even if they don't have FileGuard 10.6 software.
FileGuard 10.6's safes are easy to access. Double-click a safe's icon in the Finder, then enter your password to open it. When a safe is open, you simply drag files to its icon to add them to the safe. You can use floating avatars for your safes, unique icons that display above other windows on your screen, so you can drag files to them regardless of which other windows are visible; alternately, you
can make your avatars behave like ordinary windows, hidden until you bring them to the front. You can also access your safes easily from the Intego menu that displays in your menu bar: you can open a safe, no matter where it is stored, by simply selecting it from the Intego menu and typing your password. Finally, you can access safes from standard Open and Save dialogs, so you can select files from them to work with, or save files directly to your safes to avoid writing them in unprotected form to your hard disk.
Features of FileGuard 10.6
- Stores sensitive files in secure virtual safes
- Industry-standard encryption makes safes unbreakable
- 256-bit encryption available under Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
- Users can create as many safes as they need
- A different password can be set for each safe
- Safes can be created by drag-and-drop, or from the Intego menu
- Safes can be converted to folders
- Files can be securely deleted when added to folders
- Safes increase in capacity as more files are added
- Safes can be changed in size, or compressed to save space
- Safes can be opened by a simple double-click in the Finder
- Protects sensitive files on laptops in case of loss or theft
- Protects files on portable media, such as iPods or USB key drives
- Safes work like folders - files can be dragged to and from safes
- Safe icons indicate their status (open or closed)
- Floating windows provide access to safes at all times
- Safes can be sent by e-mail, or stored on servers or external disks
- Read and write permissions can be set for safes stored on shared volumes