AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 w/Fan Product Details
AMD Athlon™ 64 FX Processor
Innovative Technology to Provide An
Extraordinary, Unparalleled Computer Experience
The AMD Athlon 64 FX processor runs on AMD64, a revolutionary technology that 1) allows the processor to run 32-bit applications at full speed while enabling the coming wave of powerful, 64-bit software applications, and 2) provides Enhanced Virus Protection when used with the upcoming Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). AMD64 technology shatters barriers to new and advanced software that require 64-bit technology and blazing processor performance. Power-hungry enthusiasts, gamers, and prosumers can explore the full potential of AMD64 technology while enjoying outstanding performance on today’s PC software.
The next generation of games and digital content creation applications will demand unprecedented performance to provide an extraordinary level of realism and awesome 3D graphics. Systems based on the AMD Athlon 64 FX processor are able to deliver leading-edge performance for the most demanding entertainment and content creation software today and in the future. With AMD64, life-like games with cinema-quality graphics and pro-level video editing are within PC users’ reach. Advanced 64-bit operating systems for the AMD64 platform from Microsoft®, Red Hat, SuSE, and TurboLinux have already been announced, and they only run on processors with AMD64 technology.
Enhanced Virus Protection is a feature of AMD64 technology. This feature is enabled by the operating system, like the upcoming Windows XP SP2 and Windows XP 64-bit Edition for 64-bit Extended Systems, and is designed to trap a certain type of malicious exploit known as “buffer overrun” or “buffer overflow”. Enhanced Virus Protection together with the aforementioned operating systems are designed to prevent the spread of certain viruses, like MSBlaster and Slammer; significantly reducing the cost and down-time associated with similar viruses and improving the protection of computers and personal information against certain PC viruses.
The AMD Athlon 64 FX processor is the only Windows-compatible 64-bit PC processor and the world’s most technically advanced PC processor. It features several technology innovations for immersive, cinematic computing experiences. The AMD64 architecture doubles the number of general purpose and SSE/SSE2 registers for improved performance and enhances multimedia processing with 3DNow!™ Professional technology and SSE2 technology. HyperTransport™ technology increases overall system performance by reducing I/O bottlenecks, increasing system bandwidth, and reducing system latency. A 128-bit integrated DDR memory controller, together with industry standard DDR memory technology, provides extreme bandwidth - up to 6.4GB per second, and significantly reduces memory latency, improving performance for many applications. The AMD Athlon 64 FX processor boasts the industry’s largest on-die, high-performance cache memory system for PC processors, enhancing performance for many applications, especially large workloads.
The AMD Athlon 64 FX processor is designed for the most demanding PC software that extend the capabilities of today’s desktop computer, driving applications to a new level of performance and potential:
- Game Play: A game that is optimized for AMD64 can command a phenomenal amount of memory for textures, world models, and characters. The large physical memory and smart memory management of the AMD Athlon 64 FX processor can provide excellent performance and access to a new level of cinema-quality gaming realism. Multi-player games and 3D environments can grow to massive proportions and incorporate stunning detail.
- Game Development & Modification: AMD64 offers large memory capacity and other architectural performance improvements for fast and efficient compiling, level editing, development of complex 3D models, and asset management. The growing trend toward user-generated content can accelerate, and tap the creative efforts of thousands of game modification enthusiasts.
- Game Serving & File Sharing: Multi-player games and peer-to-peer software that run on central servers can accommodate more users and larger physical environments. With the AMD Athlon 64 FX processor, more CPU horsepower is available for physics simulation, player interactions, and network connections.
- Digital Content Creation: AMD64 applications can leverage huge physical memory and 64-bit processing to manipulate huge images and complex audio & video content.
- Professional Grade Results: With AMD64 many professional grade applications can be employed to create professional grade results on a desktop PC including design, engineering, simulation, and science applications.
Founded in 1969, AMD has shipped more than 240 million PC processors worldwide. Customers can depend on AMD and the AMD Athlon 64 FX processor for compatibility and reliability. AMD processors undergo extensive testing to ensure compatibility with Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000, as well as Linux and other PC operating systems. AMD works collaboratively with Microsoft and other partners to achieve compatibility and reliability of AMD processors and to expand the capability of software and hardware products leveraging AMD64 technology. AMD conducts rigorous research, development, and validation to help ensure the continued integrity and performance of its products.
AMD64 improves performance for many applications by evolving this industry-standard technology from a 32- to a 64-bit architecture. 64-bit computing allows operating systems and software to process more data and access a tremendous amount of memory. AMD64 is an industry-standard approach to 64-bit technology that combines innovation, simplicity, and foresight to deliver the next generation of performance—today.
HyperTransport™ technology is a high performance, easy-to-implement system interconnect technology originally invented by AMD. It is designed to increase overall system performance by removing I/O bottlenecks, increasing bandwidth, and reducing latency. HyperTransport technology implemented in the AMD Athlon™ 64 FX processor enables a system bus to run at 1600MHz.
In the past, increased processor performance has often meant increased power consumption and increased noise levels. AMD Cool‘n’Quiet™ technology is an innovative solution available on AMD Athlon™ 64 processor-based systems that can effectively lower the power consumption and enable a quieter-running system while delivering performance on demand, for the ultimate computing experience.
All AMD64 processors, including the AMD Athlon™ 64 FX, AMD Athlon 64, and Mobile AMD Athlon 64 processors, are enabled with Enhanced Virus Protection. With Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), you will be able to fully utilize the security technology*. By providing extra security at the platform level, AMD lets you easily embrace the future of computing.
Additional Resources: Product Manuals
Manufactured by: AMD
Warranty provided by: AMD
UPC No: 730143960557
Mfg Part No: ADAFX55ASBOX
( Length:8, Width:6, Depth:3)
Shipping Weight: 1.0000 pound(s)
Click here for full warranty and support information
- AMD logos are registered trademarks of AMD. All others trademarks and copyrights mentioned herein are the property of their respective owners.